Sunday 21 June 2015

On a somber note

Jun21
It was a few days back that I spoke to the man who slept under the stairs. He was limping. Normally when I passed by he used to stand and smartly wish me with an appropriate greeting depending on the time of the day. I noticed that he was limping around that day. I solicitously asked him what was wrong and he said that his foot hurt. I said to him that I hoped that he was getting it treated. He replied in affirmative. I told him that in case required I would provide help . He said that it was not required at that time.

He was a man of all work. He lived with his daughter in the servants quarter. Due to space problem he slept under the stairs. He did odd jobs like washing the car, cleaning, and any other job which no one else had the time to do. His disposition was pleasant and people around fed him whenever there was a chance of surplus food.

Yesterday when we were about to consume the evening meal my wife mentioned that he had passed,in a local hospital about two days ago. This gave me quite a turn. I silently lamented his passing. I remembered his goodness and said a prayer for him. I also remembered our last conversation and felt badly about the whole thing.
May he rest in peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment