Tuesday 11 August 2015

A Professor's Viewpoint

AUG 11

Prof RajKiran Bilolikar has Kindly consented to pen down his experiences with ARMSASCI. I think After Prof Mahadik he is the second to do so. His narrative is quite gripping and in a way a reflection on our reticent behaviour . Very well and lucidly written...

The Narrative

 I was apprehensive right from the beginning. When Dushyant told me that I had to take classes for the armed forces students I was right away wondering "what should I Teach them? They might know everything or for that matter know nothing. How will I compress the entire subject of Business Research Methods into eight sessions? When I voiced my fears to Dushyant he laughed heartily and said " Don't worry; I had similar apprehensions in the beginning . But when I went in to teach them I found them quite receptive and curious. What I could gather from my classes was that they are like a blank slate. You can write anything on it and it will be the truth". I took this piece of advice from Dushyant with a pinch of salt. I sat up half the night preparing for the class. I knew from what Dushyant told me that I would have to teach as I would a teach a class of freshers. Six years at ASCI rubbing shoulders with the best of management cadre , teaching them at a level which was high made me a bit lazy in my outlook. I had to go back to the basics. It was quite challenging relearning what I had forgotten while opening up my horizons to more challenging things in life.

While I was preparing for my class at home my two year old daughter ran in to my room shouting something in her lisping cute voice. I automatically corrected her thinking little about it . Then Like Buddha who received enlightenment at Bodh Gaya , Suddenly everything became clear to me . Just as I would teach My Daughter so would I the class - in simple and clear language leaving no room for ambiguity in making the class understand what I would like to say. Thereafter preparing for my lecture became that much more easier and simple. Nevertheless I still had butterflies in my stomach when I entered the empty syndicate room . Empty ? It was already nine in the morning and no one was in the class save Dushyant and myself. For a moment I was worried that the class was on strike like the other one which was on. Then I dismissed such absurd thoughts . Dushyant was also flummoxed. Before we could react further they entered as a group. Things became clear when they explained that the tardiness was the result of some minister travelling somewhere....

Then Dushyant left and I was all by myself. I could feel some undercurrent in the class. It was as if they were trying to judge me, without a word having been spoken as yet . My first question to the class was " what is Business Research?" All I got was blank stares from the audience. I nearly gave up then "it is no use guys and lady '; I said to myself " you might as well do self study and if you have any doubts I will clarify them". I felt that my preparation for the class, the powerpoint presentation - all were in vain. For once I did not listen to my gut feeling. I persisted. Speaking about business research I slowly sensed a shift in the attention of the class. Replies came in a trickle at first and soon within the first half hour there was full participation of the class. This interaction became even more animated when I started relating the various theories labour process theory ( use of man power in the army is also objectified) contingency theory ( you always have a back up / alternate plan) Middle Range theory ( as to how it involves both inductive and deductive empirical research)- slowly but surely the class was warming up to my teaching. It was as if the class was forming a theory collecting data , coming to findings and revising their theory about me and my abilities.

And so the class meandered towards a both satisfying and positive end . I am happy that I had been able to make a difference to the class. In the end it was my reliability and validity of my teachings which came to the fore in a totally unambiguous fashion. As far as the officers were concerned it was like no class that I had taught before. It felt good....

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That was a thumbs up symbol, couldn't be printed here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Prof Rajkiran for your blog. Good to see the scope and participation of blog expanding.GJ Rao

      Delete
  2. Like they say in cricket- 'don't play the Bowler, play the Ball'; Here too, sometimes, it helps if one shifts focus on to the subject from the audience.

    ReplyDelete