Wednesday 8 July 2015

Sulgay's Sermons

Jul08
There was a girl named Maya
Who said I am gonna kill ya
I laughed at her naivette
she murdered me by saying something inappropriate

 N o I am no good at limericks. I think I will stick to preaching normal sermons of love and brotherhood. Do not get me wrong. when I say brotherhood I mean it entirely in the right manner. One really mind his Ps and qs when one speaks nowadays. One cannot say to someone something like "You are looking so gay"; Gay earlier used to mean happy and carefree. Now it has been given an entirely different connotation - if you get my drift. Where I am posted there is a lot of foreign tourist traffic. They always stop in front of this restaurant and start gesticulating to others of their party. General hilarity ensues and then they pose in front of the restaurant clicking photographs by the dozen. Initially I used to wonder at this.. Then I got it. They were all going ape because the restaurant was named 'Gaylord'. How crazy can people be.

Yesterday I had told you my story about my joining the academy. I was of the view after joining the services one does not have to study anymore. But the services had other ideas in mind. I not only had to study more but had to demonstrate this knowledge both to my seniors and to my juniors to prove my professional competence. Using limericks was one way of remembering things

A war correspondent named Guido
Was struck by a flying torpedo,
So they called up his boss,
Who deployed the Red Cross--
They found only a sleeveless tuxedo! 


Whenever I forgot anything I remembered this limerick. It did not help me in any way - but It was the first thing that came to mind. By associating it with my preparations I was able to associate it with what I wanted to write.Often I found that a particular occurrence triggered a train of thought which may be happy, sad or lead to some action with positive or negative results.The thing about sermonising is that you can go on and on without coming to the point. 

To cut short a long story . Today was a day totally devoted to marketing. I marvel at Ms Shahaida's ability to go on and on for close to four hours on the subject without losing steam. If I hadn't eaten the whole day I would be seeing food swimming in front of my eyes and not marketing . Provided that  I had to speak at an occassion then my speech by the timer would not go beyond 10 minutes. It would start by addressing all present by gender, seniority general public and desperately searching for any more categories , which woud then be followed by congratulations to the participants and thereafter exhorting others to follow suit ending with Jai Hind - and that mind you would be a reasonably long speech. Anyhow we learnt a lot today and hope to do the same tomorrow...

I am enjoying this writing and may be I will twist Ravindra's arm to pontificate further in the near future..

1 comment:

  1. Ravi Sir, Thanks indeed, for keeping the course alive & kicking thro ur live wire. You are gifted with superb articulation skills with harmonious blend of intellect and humour , a rare combination. Keep it up and let the flag of Armsasci further fly high & in Indian Air Force parlance "Touch the sky with glory". Gp Capt GJ Rao

    ReplyDelete