Tuesday 22 September 2015

Pistol

Sep 22 On a cold winter morning in Jan in the year in 2000 I got a call from a friend. At that time we were residing in Delhi. No mobile was available. However the telephone was conveniently placed at the bedside and I had to make no effort to pick up the receiver from under the quilt. "Wake up" He said; " the other day when we were having a drink you happened to mention your willingness to pick up a pup - well - I have found one for you. Go to Rohini and meet Mr Bhalla. He had a litter and one pup is left". "Is it a male or female?" I asked. " What does it matter? " he said impatiently. "You wanted a pup and he has it.Just go and pick it up. He is waiting for you. I have already told him that you will be coming ". And so I was committed to picking up a pup. It was then that I knew in my mind that she was a female. Even in the canine world prejudices existed . No one wanted a female.I gave it up as a bad dream till the second call roused me. " Why have you not gone yet?" remonstrated my friend. " What will I say to Mr Bhalla"? I had half a mind of telling him to go hop it, but considering that he had undergone the trouble of finding a pup , I did not have the heart to refuse him. A call for a vehicle and a quick trip to Rohini - I had already decided to go see the pup and politely decline the offer of a pup to Mr Bhalla. A hot cup of tea and we got down to business. The pup was produced and handed over. All thoughts of a graceful exit evaporated. The pup fitted neatly into the palm of my hand and it started licking my fingers as if to express its approval of its new master. Having thanked Mr Bhalla for his generosity I headed home, with the pup stuffed in my jacket to protect it against the biting cold. As I was heading home the situation at home struck me with full force.

My wife was mortally scared of dogs regardless of age sex and size. How was I going to convince her? On reaching home I knew that I was in for a tough time. My daughter aged 8 years was immediately thrilled, My son was very happy but my wife was another matter altogether. She refused to listen to reason and was very vocal about her displeasure. When I put down the pup it started moving about finding its feet in an unfamiliar territory. The long ride home had rested it and the first thing it did was urinate in the carpet which was a prized possession of my wife. And so it literally started off on a wrong foot. The whole day was spent on the arguments and at night fall the dog was put in a carton. My troubles were just starting. Having been removed from the warmth of its mother's embrace it started voicing its disapproval in a very vociferous manner, By evening my wife and I were not on talking terms. Not wanting to further ruin the situation and waking up my wife I picked up the pup and put it on the bed. When we woke up in the morning - a rather rude awakening -because during the night the pup was cuddled up at my wife's feet .On waking up my wife was up in arms. No amount of reasoning that the dog had taken to her seemed to pacify her. This now became a daily routine - my wife threatening dire consequences if the pup was found on the bed and the pup invariably curling up at her feet during the night.

Gradually an uneasy truce was signed between them - as if the dog telling her that "you don't interfere with me and I won't with you'. Being away at the office most of the time and the children being away at school my wife had no option but to take up the responsibility of looking after the dog. Pistol- for that was her name soon became inseparable from my wife. Discussions about the home  family and children soon became the order of the day between them - so much so that I started feeling jealous of their relationship. We soon moved to Agra and I had to leave my family behind at Agra , when I moved to Devlali. By now the small pup who used to fit in the palm of my hand had grown into a strapping dog. At Devlali we picked up the strings and we used to go for long walks. 

The problem with bitches is that they get into heat. And this is what happened precisely. In an unguarded moment , while at Devlali she ran off in the night. Forget the fact that I spent the entire night looking for her. In the morning she comes back with her friend as if to say " Can we keep him? He seems to be the good sort;" To ensure that she did not give birth to illegitimate children it was back to Agra to get her uterus removed. At that time I felt bad but I was not up to facing the ignominy of unwanted pups. For the next few years pistol was my constant companion on long walks and a good friend to the children. They grew up from lisping tots to children seriously thinking about the future. My wife had now developed a lasting friendship with pistol. Whenever my wife used to colour her nails pistol also got a new coat to her nails . They used to discuss every thing under the sun .

As the time passed by pistol got old .Sandy and Duke joined her at home. But she never let them forget her seniority so much so that they would eat only after she started eating. Along with old age came the problems associated with old age. Her eyesight started failing her and soon came the Day when she was no more.

We buried her under the lemon tree in our compound in Agra, along with all her items of use. It was a heart wrenching moment . We still remember her with a lot of fondness. She died on the same day my Mother passed away albeit in a different year. Wherever she is right now we hope she is happy and contented.....  

7 comments:

  1. Somehow, I have no liking for dogs. Not that I hate them. Life has been so busy that we had no time to spare for an other entity in the house. With this narration in the blog , coupled with relatively settled life, we may go in for one. But, I would certainly take my better half in to confidence because she needs to look after the pet as well. GJ Rao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching. Dogs are man's best friend.Well written Mangipudi Ravindra.
    -Banjo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very touching. Dogs are man's best friend.Well written Mangipudi Ravindra.
    -Banjo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt so emotional reading this blog. I must admire your courage to put this so succinctly and indeed very very touching. I am already missing my living dogs and recollect all my lost dogs, and how I lost them. Indeed they are integral part of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing amongst many others which makes me feel so small is that l never could get myself to keeping dogs , though my better half mentioned it a few times.wonderful piece of emotion in words Ravi , You rock

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing amongst many others which makes me feel so small is that l never could get myself to keeping dogs , though my better half mentioned it a few times.wonderful piece of emotion in words Ravi , You rock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, now that's some film I'd love the world to see. A surprising call, a new member instantly into the house, everyone with different feelings towards the newest member and the turn of events of how once the returnable member becomes the strength of you and your family. We often read such wonderful memories in novels and fictional books but to experience them first hand is an amazing journey. I hope Pistol is smiling down on you and your family just the way you guys keep her memories close.

    ReplyDelete