Monday 2 November 2015

Back to The Future VII -The One That Flew Away

20 Jul 2016

The course was in full strength at the Airport - except for Sandhya - her husband was posted to some place where there was no immediate access to any thing. The occasion was tha Himanshu was going to USA. This time his friends felt instinctively that he was going for good. The visits to India would be far and few - if any. And who knew which way the coin would tumble? So it was best to say farewell while it was still feasible.
Himanshu was going suitably equipped , of course ,with a course at ASCI, Project Mangement Course from USA and an Engineering degree and associated special studies thereafter. Garlanded . hugged and a few photographs later he was on his way. He was looking forward to this move - it was evident. Finally after years of separation from his wife he would be joining her permanently. Speaking over skype , corresponding through emails and whispered endearments over the phone were at an end - and none too sooner....

Himanshu - 2020
I have finally settled into a routine life in the USA. It is now four years since I have left India. I have managed to get a good job. After initial hiccups ( like gears of a new car being run in - in the good old days) me and my wife settled down to a wonderful life. My job was really well paying and we were staying in one of the better places in New York. BUT -  but that lingering dissatisfaction was always there. I wanted to do something more - more than just a well paid job - I wanted to achieve something. I have always Idolised Elon Musk. His unhappy childhood and his Move to Canada and thereafter his becoming CEO of Tesla really impressed me. What really was his pioneering venture into space with the Dragon. It was my desire to be a part of that project. Towards that end I applied for a job and it was probably my military background enhanced by my technical know how that helped me land a job on the Dragon Project. Soon Neelima  also joined me on this project. I have finally arrived... Doing what I wanted and getting paid for it too.

2026

Reports about Himanshu's doings were constantly updated with me. We corresponded regularly. The Dragon Project was going great guns. One test flight and an extended stay on Mars had already been achieved. One thing that was bothering most of Himanshu's well wishers was  the lack of constant news... Anyway let Himanshu continue...

Himanshu 2028  

The news was exciting. More exciting than when our first child was born. Giant strides had been taken in the habitation of Mars. Ever since the discovery of water on Mars and the subsequent discovery that it snowed on Mars , in 2015 there has been an undercurrent of expectation all over Earth. It was just a matter of time before th first commercial flight was launcheed. And of course 'Project Dragon was in the forefront of the entire exercise. Elon Musk was one of the first civillians to travel to Mars. By the way of not being too immodest I was in the forefront of improving the design of the Dragon so that it withstood the rigours of travel . My contribution was to make a space suit that was light weight and had the property of self cleansing.Of course this brought me in contact with elon Musk and soon we were on first name terms. My dream of making a trip to mars soon seemed to be crystallising and becoming a reality...

2029

It was already 14 years since Himanshu left for USA. We have not met in the interim. If he did come to India, it was only to visit his family . We were all busy in our own jobs. Jaggu's son was still doing very well on the world moto gp. Sivaram's Wards won Bronze Medal in road cycling, GJ Rao finally realised his dream of saving troubled lives all over the country. His Model of Suicide prevention was finally accepted all over the country. His financial position already good improved vastly with the entrepreneurial  initiatives taken by his son . He is now into charity and helping the underprivileged to realise their dreams of good education. Banerjee has retired from all types of business/ work . Nowadays he travels all over the world along with his charming wife. Sandhya is doing very well. Her son is growing by leaps and bounds. He is very naughty. Yarlagadda has business of transport all over the state. It goes by the name YARLAGADDA TRANSPORT. Perumal's Back to the Basics has made him the champion of poor in Tamil Nadu.

2030

The news paper headline caught my attention immediately caught my attention. INDIAN COUPLE AMONG FIRST SETTLERS ON MARS. Hoping against hope I read the article in full and my hopes were realised


     " American Entrepreneur and business tycoon Elon Musk has decided to be one of the first to send        people to the moon. He said that "time has come to decongest earth. Recent advances in the                exploration of the Mars has shown that it is possible to sustain life there . Over the past few years        My company has been in the forefront of doing pioneering work on Mars. A lot of work has still        to be done . I have selected my good friend Himanshu and his wife Neelima to lead this mission          to Mars. They are more than qualified for this task.....

I did not read beyond this - It was with happiness and pleasure that we (the ARMSASCI course) wish him all the best. May he do well...                 

2 comments:

  1. Before we realised, the course is coming to an end. We will be missing each ones wonderful company, besides this tell - tale blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Sir, it would b a Cinderella moment to meet Elon Musk.

    ReplyDelete